A man is a success is he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.



- Bob Dylan







Monday, April 26, 2010

My kids favorite cookies... they call them homemade!












When my kids ask me to make "homemade" cookies I am so lucky. They consider "homemade" to be anything you cannot purchase at the grocery store. Technically they are right. But these favorites are made in the microwave and are ready to eat in less than 5 minutes. That's quicker than I can get to any store! We call them Cheerio M&M Cookies (yes, I know that is a very clever name... haha). It was my day to carpool to activities so I decided to make myself look like a good mom to my friend's daughter. I knew she would go home and tell her mom that Mrs. Fisher made homemade cookies!!! And in case you were wondering, there were plenty for Mason when he got home. I keep the ingredients on hand at all times. I suggest you do too. Here you go.... the recipe to my kids' favorite cookies.... Enjoy!
Cheerio M&M Cookies
3 Tblsp. butter
6 c. mini marshmallows
1/2 c. creamy peanut butter (I use Jif)
5 c. Cheerios
1 c. M&M's (seasonal colors are fun)
In microwave heat butter and marshmallows for about 3 minutes. Use a bowl that you can fit all of the ingredients in because you will end up stirring everything together in the one bowl. The marshmallows will puff up. While they are in the microwave, butter a 9x13" pan and set aside. When butter/marshmallows come out, immediately stir in peanut butter. It will collapse. That is okay. Then add Cheerios. Stir until half way incorporated. Then add the M&M's and continue to stir lightly until all mixed up. Put in greased pan. Press down (I use a buttered baggie over my hands... that trick works great). Let sit a few minutes before cutting into squares. I like to serve these with an ice cold glass of milk in my favorite Southern Living polka dot glasses.
This recipe originally called for dropping the Cheerio mixture onto waxed paper. I like to make them into bars so the kids can cut them as they eat them. Although I do have to admit the "drop" version is a little prettier. When I press down the M&M's do crack a little. Oh well, they taste the same!!.... What do you expect from a homemade cookie????
PS... on another completely different subject.... go to www.liveitupalittle.blogspot.com to see a super fun painting. If you follow that blog you will find a new recipe later this week. Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment